Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Yummy Bayou Pasta







The focus of this entry is food, AGAIN! Although my brilliant plan to split the meal-cooking responsibilities has been less than embraced by the rest of the family, there are occasions when the responsibility is shared and both the process and product are extremely enjoyable. Tonight I made Emeril Lagasse's Bayou Chicken Pasta, and I fully intended to do so alone.
It is a fantastic recipe that I've made before. I go straight by the book, except I replace the cream with 1/2 and 1/2 and use both chicken and shrimp. A few crawfish tossed in would be great too. I'll try that next time!
This time, as I began browning the butter and chopping the onions and garlic, the pasta pot boiling away, both of my boys smelled the aroma, walked into the kitchen and uttered these words, "We want to cook with you, Momma." Music to my ears. Simply made me smile. So, Zackary's contribution was the parsley and Ky's was the green onion. Derrick provided some guidance regarding avoiding the sharp, serrated edge of the steak knives they used to do their dicing. Gever Tulley, author of 50 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Children Do, would have been awfully proud.

Pause for a moment while I admire the capability of my children...and my husband. Wow! Very appreciative.

What a fun, collaborative process. And the product wasn't too shabby either. Yum! Now...what's for dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment